Saturday, September 6, 2008

A New Vista PC Acer Aspire M1641

My old desktop suddenly went south. So I have to buy another PC. I was eying the Asus EeeBox (XP Home, Atom CPU, very cute). but later decided to buy a cheap Acer Aspire M1641 (47M32) instead. Its cost is SGD640 (no monitor) with upgraded DDR2 RAM to 2GB since I know Vista will be happy with 2GB RAM. The 47M32 model is the 47MR32 model without the Nvidia 9300 graphics card. Since I do not really play games, the 7050 integrated graphics is good enough to me.

http://www.acer.com.sg/products/aspireM1641/

Many people do not like Vista. And Vista really have problems with old hardware and old software. Still most of the desktops and notebooks now come with Vista only and the vendor does not provide XP driver. Anyway, I'd like to try out Vista myself. I have spent a few days to install the software packages I like to use. So far I have not met major problems with it but I did notice a few IE7 stability problems.

Of course, I also installed Ubuntu 8.04 on it. Vista has one good feature. It is so easy to shrink a partition under Vista. Shrinking the empty D drive took only seconds.

No comments: